Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

DIY Firepit

We've talked about having a firepit for years.  Poking through Pinterest, and looking around our yard, we realized that we had everything we needed to attempt one (specifically a decent supply of  "Wall" stones).  At the back of our lawn we have two odd areas of "landscaping".  One had a sad little tree, about a dozen pieces of rotten wood, and plenty of weeds - all outlined with a double row of wall stones.   We were planning to redo it anyway, and because we didn't have to spend $1.78/ea for the stones, we had nothing to lose except a little time on a Saturday morning.  


Before, sans tree that my husband gleefully chainsaw'd down.


After, with a remnant of that sad tree being sacrificed in the name of our hot dog roast. 
This is 3 rows of the stones.  We simply picked a spot near the house (but not too near), and committed to ruining the lawn underneath.  We stacked about a dozen stones per layer. 



Enjoying our first bonfire, and celebrating with hot dogs & s'mores.  
After a few weeks, the stones settled out a bit (this is likely due to the slope on our lawn), so we do plan to restack them again.  I'd like to cap it off with matching stones, but this would be about another $20..... so I'll probably save that & put it towards a paver patio instead.  In the end, it was free, it's functional, and I think we'll put it to good use.  




Gratuitous pics of my kids: 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my gosh how fun! I have always wanted one of these on my yard...maybe I need to get a yard first! ha

I stumbled on your blog and just wanted to say hi :-)
Come on over and follow my new Color Issue blog...its all about COLOR!

xoxox,
Aarean

colorissue.blogspot.com

Davis Family said...

What a great idea! I hope you guys are enjoying Fall!