Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?
When we bought this house a year ago, this is what the front room and hallway looked like.
Relatively innocuous.... but not good. The walls were streaked with dirt where pets had rubbed against them. The paint was a sad grey-green, which was repeated throughout the house. And the wallpaper border just screamed "1990's!".
We don't have furniture for this room, so even though it's been used as a play space, craft room, dumping ground, and storage locker, it hasn't been given any love.
After 8 months went by, I decided to strip the wallpaper. The wallpaper in the kitchen had come off in sheets, so I thought this would be no different. I quickly discovered that the border had been applied over primed drywall..... and I think they used E-6000 instead of wallpaper paste. After it took me 2+ hours to strip 5 feet, I had to rethink my approach.
A few more months went by, and I finally rented a wallpaper steamer and got down to business. 2 hours later, the walls were de-papered. There was so much damage where I had originally stripped the border that I had to skim coat the entire top 2 feet of wall, then prime it, then wipe down the walls to remove some of the nasty dirt. FINALLY I was ready to paint.
And now, it's lovely!
I chose Creamy Mushroom by Behr (hard to tell, but it's a very light tan), and had it mixed in my favorite Behr Premium Plus Ultra in a Satin finish. I actually had to use 2 gallons, because I painted the inside of the closet too (amazing how much extra space & time that tacks on to a project).
I know, it's not an exciting color.... more the wall equivalent of khaki pants.... but it's clean, and light, and the newly white trim just glows. As we do for each room we paint, we also replaced all the light switches and outlets with white toggle switches and white square outlets.
I like how the blue door plays off the brown, and I plan to paint the back of the door a deep chocolate brown for more contrast.
I'm down to just 3 more painting projects. I might even be done before Christmas!
This post is part of The William Morris Project via Pancakes and French Fries.