Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Website Review: Coastal.com

I've been in the market for some new glasses for about a year.  I'm normally a contact lens wearer, relegating my glasses to weekends and sick days, but there are some days when I just want a different look, or to take a break from my contacts. It's been 5 years since I last got new glasses, so it was time for a refresh.

But I didn't know where to begin.  Glasses are really expensive - the frames are not cheap, and then when you add in all the extras - the extra thin lenses for my extra big prescription, or the special coatings and polishing, well, the dollar signs add up.  And because I don't wear them every day, it felt like an indulgence I just couldn't afford right now.

Sure, I've seen websites where you could order fashionable glasses at lower costs.  But I was nervous!  How could I find a good one if I couldn't try on 400 pairs first?  And what if I ordered a pair and my thick lenses stuck out like wing flaps?  Then someone told me about Coastal.com.  They have a deal where your first order of glasses is free!  What?  Free?  Well, that's a price that can always make me try something new!  Plus their return policy allows you to send back your glasses up to a year later.

First, I perused their website and selected a handful of frames that I liked.  Then, I went to a local store and spent about 15 minutes trying on various frames in different shapes, sizes, and colors.  I also took a good look at my current frames, and used some measurements printed on them (found either on the inside of the frames or on the nose piece) to help guide me.  Once I had an idea of the shape and size I needed - because my face is small and my bridge is narrow - I went back to Coastal and picked my frame.   I input my prescription from my optometrist. I did pay more to order thinner lenses, but the standard lenses are available at no cost.  And I clicked Purchase!  I bought them on a Sunday, and they were at my door on Wednesday when I arrived home from work.

I chose the Havana frame by Kam Dillon.  I know these are a bit big for my face, but I wanted a little bit of a 'dorky'/ studious look.  I also wanted a frame that wasn't too dark or overwhelming.  I really like them!




My total cost was $65 for the thinnest lenses, handling, and taxes.  The frames and shipping were free. The lenses still seem pretty thick, and there was no option to polish the edges, but with this type of plastic frame I wasn't worried about it.  The prescription seems accurate, although I did have about a 2 week adjustment period.  I attribute this to the fact that it was 5 years between updated prescriptions and because I don't wear them all the time.  Glasses and contacts force your eyes to adjust in different ways but now I feel comfortable wearing them and my vision is clear and crisp. I give Coastal.com two thumbs up!

No comments: