Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

DIY Photo Canvas

I found this idea on Pinterest (where on earth did we get our ideas before Pinterest?), and decided it would be the perfect Christmas gift: DIY Photo Canvas.

Supplies Needed:
(I think everything on this list can be found at Walmart)
  • Scrapbooking paper
  • Photos to mount
  • Artist canvas in the size to match the photos
  • Mod Podge in Matte finish
  • Brush or foam applicator
  • Ink pad & sponge
  • Clear Acrylic Sealer (spray)



I had my black and white photos printed at mPix. 
I then trimmed them down by about 1/4" on each side to fit my 8"x10" canvas.  


Strips of scrapbooking paper, cut to fit the edges of the canvas, leaving about 1/4" gap all around.



Brush the Mod Podge over the entire canvas & let it dry for the full 20 minutes. 
Tip: I started with a foam applicator, but switched to a 1" brush & got MUCH smoother results.


Assembly line.
I laid everything on wax paper so they didn't stick.



Apply another coat of Mod Podge to the edges, then adhere the scrapbooking strips on all 4 sides. 
You'll see a little of the white canvas underneath, but that's OK. 


Coat the top of the canvas once more, then apply the photos.  Although I've seen tutorials that suggest you use a brayer to get out any air bubbles, I found that if I just smoothed it with my hand, then weighted them down, there were no bubbles. 
I turned them face down on the wax paper, put a few books (actually my Everyday Living magazines) in the middle, then weighted them down with larger books. 


Once dry, turn them face up again and coat all visible surfaces with Mod Podge.  Work quickly, and try to keep a smooth, even coating. The brush works much better than the foam applicator for this step.  Let this dry completely. If you'd like, you can do a second full coating, but it's not necessary. 


Once dried, take your ink pad & "distress" the edges by tamping a sponge onto the ink. Lightly apply it the edges and corners, and if you like, blur it onto the edges of the photo itself. 

Last step: When everything is totally dry, spray them with a light coating of acrylic sealant.  Do this outside, as it will stink up the garage when you're trying to get your project done in 40 degree weather. 



Hang & enjoy!  

9 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

They look great!

Kelly said...

I love these!!! It does help that you have such beautiful children.

Mom said...

My best Christmas present ever! I Love These!

Anonymous said...

Mine didn't dry very clear. Kinda foggy.

Anonymous said...

Do you use regular photos or do they have to be on regular paper or photo paper

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Regular photos. Have not tried printing them at home.

Anonymous said...

They look great! Did you remove the wax paper before you put the last coat of mod podge on??

That's Ms. Amy to You... said...

Yes, the wax paper is just to keep them from sticking to your work surface.

Eve said...

Do you have to distress the photo?