Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

The Next 2 Years

I have been a nervous wreck since 7pm last night. I checked my email every 5 minutes, hoping Big Daddy would tell me the lottery results were posted. No such luck.

I gave up at 10:30 and went to bed. Big Daddy came to bed around 3, and I made him get up and check again before letting him under the covers. Nothing yet. I tossed and turned all night.

We checked at 8:30 am and again at 10:30.

At 1pm today Big Daddy called to say the results were up.

Drumroll, please............


Starting in June of '09,
we will be in Mt. Clemens, Michigan for 2 years.

It looks cute, no?


Michigan?
Yes, Michigan.

We were set on Des Moines for quite a while, but 4 or 5 days before the lottery opened up, both Big Daddy and I started talking about other options. We did some research, looked at different programs, and came to the conclusion that DSM might not be the best place for us in the long run.
Yes, we will be leaving behind some wonderful friends, great schools, a friendly ward family, a cozy apartment, and a generally comfortable life & routine.

But we couldn't take the chance of selling ourselves short on opportunity. The hospital there has a great rotation program, an ER residency program, and is close to a number of other hospitals with ER residency programs. It's located in a growing suburb of Detroit, but Mt. Clemens appears to still be a relatively small town. I've already picked out which school I want Big Sis to go to.

And if we absolutely hate it? It's only 2 years and then we can move on again.

At least we know now, and I can start making plans.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for the new adventure for you. Ive been thinking about you all day. Thanks for the update.

Chrissy Jo said...

Oh, I am sad for me. It does look cute, and hopefully it will be wonderful. I'm excited for your next adventure, but know that here in Des Moines you will be missed.

Ted and Hilery said...

We will miss you! I thought for sure you would be staying around... but I am glad you have found the best place for you.

Kelly said...

We will miss you guys but I'm glad you got were you wanted. Good luck on your next adventure.