The D has been fortunate to have a very mild winter this year. My friends in the DSM have not been so lucky. So, in honor of cold, frosty weather, I give you one of our favorite recipes. It's cheesy, it's warm, and it's super easy. Although this is from my Cooking Light cookbook, I am going to give you the recipe the way I make it. If you want to use the lower sodium, lower fat mods, go for it. It's good either way.
Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
(adapted from Cooking Light)
1 package chicken flavored Rice-A-Roni
1 Tbs. butter
2 1/4 cups hot water
1 1/2 lbs. chicken cut into bite-sized pieces (tenderloins or breast)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
1. Spray 2-quart casserole pan with cooking spray.
2. Cook rice according to package directions, using the butter and the hot water. When done cooking, place mixture in a large bowl. Wipe pan with paper towel.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Coat skillet with cooking spray. Place over high heat until hot. Add chicken, mushrooms & garlic powder. Saute 4 minutes or until chicken is done. Add chicken mixture, sour cream, pepper, and soup to rice mixture. Stir until well blended. Place mixture into casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle with cheese - as much as you'd like.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
(image from Finecooking.com)
Note: Have you seen the cover of The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook? I think I purchased it simply because of the delightful looking Blueberry Pound Cake on the cover..... with Vanilla-Buttermilk Ice Cream!! One of these days I'll get around to making it. Being the only blueberry lover in the house is rough. Real rough.