Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Thought for the Week

#23. Stand on someone's shoulders. You can travel farther carried on the accomplishments of those who came before you. And the view is so much better.

I can interpret this in so many ways. First, I am not one to re-invent the wheel. I hate having to repeat a project if I've already done it. Why not take the work of others and use it to your benefit? Learn from their mistakes, tweak it, turn it, make it better, and then make it yours. Next, don't forget to give credit where credit is due. Many people forget this part of the equation, and I think it just makes them look bad. Crediting the work of others' shows that you have the modesty to be a part of a team, while also showing you have empathy towards those around you. Plus, to me, it shows you know how to work smarter, not just harder. I've known a lot of people who put in a ton of hours on something, but get nothing accomplished. I'd much rather get in, get it done, and get out. Finally, I love this because it illustrates our own limitations. This is not about imitating others, it's about using a pre-established foundation to "make it work". (Ha! I think this is the first time I've actually been able to use a Tim Gunn quote in a way that wasn't absurdly cheesy).

No comments: