Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Help yourself?

A bit of background: A few months ago I was at the Wal-Mart deli counter waiting for my cold cuts, when one of the bakery ladies gestured Malaina over, dipped into a Tupperware container of cookies at the edge of the bakery case, and gave it to her. We thanked her and I didn't think much more about it. I've seen the container a number of times since, but we haven't been offered a cookie again. No big deal.

I was at Wally's today, again waiting for my deli order, when a woman pushing a double stroller marched up to the bakery counter, grabbed a sheet of tissue, and popped the lid off the cookie container. She proceeds to grab 6 cookies (no exaggeration - I counted) and toss one to the toddler in the stroller. Her husband walks up behind me with another toddler, and she gives the other child a cookie.

Does anyone else think this is OK? I guess it's not technically stealing, as she wasn't swarmed by security in the middle of the first bite. I suppose it was really just a case of bad manners. I personally don't think I'd have the guts to stroll up and help myself to Mr. Walton's cookies. And what kind of example does it set for your own children, or other people's children? Finally, not only was she rude, she was greedy. 6 cookies for 2 toddlers is a bit much. If your planning skills are so poor that you drag the entire family to Wal-Mart at dinner time without a snack in hand, hit aisle #7, and crack open a box of granola bars.

PS -I made some pretty delicious cupcakes today. I doctored up a Red Velvet box mix, and made some chocolate buttercream frosting from a new recipe I found. The cake didn't taste like much, but the texture was light and slightly moist. The frosting was lightly chocolate-y with a fluffy texture. YUM!

PPS - I'd like to add this cookbook to my collection: Hello Cupcake! Some of the designs look a bit silly (corn on the cob, anyone?), but if they have a turtle design, I'm sold! (sorry, I can't figure out how to embed the link in the title of the book, so I'm leaving it out of the post)

No comments: