Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

Thought for the Week - #30

Organization = Liberty. Real innovation in design, or any other field, happens in context. That context is usually some form of cooperatively managed enterprise. Frank Gehry, for instance, is only able to realize Bilbao because his studio can deliver it on budget. The myth of a split between "creatives" and "suits" is what Leonard Cohen calls a "shining artifact of the past".

My house is getting too clutter-y for my taste. Those who know me well are probably laughing hysterically at this, but I'm really not quite the clutter bug I used to be. Yes, I still have more things than I really need (don't we all!?), but it's the detrius of daily life that is dragging me down right now. Malaina's artwork, the profusion of toys, the piles of semi-important mail.... it's just getting to be too much. I can usually handle most of the house, but I've had a hard time since Justin was born. My time is more valuable than ever, and it's hard to get motivated to do a massive clean-up when I'd rather take a nap. Regardless of my fatigue level, I know that being surrounded by clutter is also mentally exhausting. Being disorganized at home makes me feel scattered and vaguely uneasy. I can see a Spring Cleaning in my future.

No comments: