This week's William Morris Project is brought to you by my husband, who thankfully was not harmed during the completion of this task. All I did was hold the ladder as it sank slowly into the lava rock and shriek when the wasps came looking for their now vanished nests. It was a tough job, but I was lucky to have it.
I know, at first glance it may appear that we are uglifying the house instead of making it more beautiful.
I hated the thorny, poky bushes.
The shutters were shedding strips of white latex paint into the lava rocks below, and with each windstorm little bits of plastic slat would flutter into the backyard. I had considered replacing them, but at $60 EACH, that's not going to happen anytime soon. Or, now that they are off, EVER.
I am hopeful that 3 months of brutal summer sun will even out the coloration of the siding. I'll still take a little uneven shading in preference to peeling paint and missing slats.
And I promise that we're going to put in some new bushes.
Oh, and in case you think I am feeling smug for getting stuff done after not posting for two weeks (insert earth-shaking eye roll here), let me share with you my House To-Do list, which is 9 months old:
Rip out old carpet Clean house Clean existing carpet Bolt down guest toilet Install new carpet Prime guest room Paint guest room New MBA floor Strip wallpaper in Kitchen/ Dining Room Prime & paint MBR
- New shades for MBR ceiling fan
- Paint trim white throughout house
Prime & paint MBA Prime & paint Family room Strip wallpaper border in M’s room Prime & paint M’s room Paint ceiling fan in M’s room Prime & paint J’s room Paint ceiling fan in J’s room
- Replace floor in Kid’s bath
- Prime & paint Kid’s bath
- Kid bath: new mirror, light, faucet
New shower curtain for Kid’s bath
- Prime & paint Kitchen/ Dining Room
- Strip wallpaper border from Living Room
- Prime & paint Living Room
Prime & paint hallway to BR
- Replace floor in guest bath
- Prime & paint guest bath
- Replace light switches through house
- Paint back doors (inside).
- New dining room light
- New entry light
- Paint or replace ceiling fan in kitchen
- Paint kitchen cabinets
- Replace hardware on kitchen cabinets
- Replace kitchen sink & faucet
- Replace kitchen countertops
- Tile backsplash in kitchen
MBA paint cabinet new light update fixtures
- Paint cabinet in Kid’s bath
- Paint cabinet in Guest bath
- Laundry room
- Motion sensor for light switch
- Finish right wall & paint
- Shelving for storage
- Paint front door
- Add potted flowers flanking door
- Pull out juniper bushes
- Pull out lava rock
- Re-landscape in front of porch; add 6 pavers next to spigot
- Landscaping in back (TBD)
I was feeling OK about things until I tallied up the numbers and realized that I still have more than half the list to go. HALF. And we've been here almost a year! We're getting to the point that many of the projects will make a big dent in our bank account, and we're just not there yet. Until then, I'll be scraping wallpaper and painting trim all summer, enjoying my dirt patch and hunting for bargains wherever I can find them (tell me again why lighting is so expensive?).