Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Remains

Remember this from yesterday's baking disasters?  


Well, after I finished sobbing quietly into gently cupped hands, I wiped away my salty remorse & bagged up the remains.  

Today was filled with errands and I was finally able to sit down at 1 pm for a hasty lunch.  Chili consumed, I opened the bag of cake crumbles & popped a piece in my mouth.  It was chocolatey, cinnamony goodness.  It was delicious, delightful, delectable.  I wanted more, and probably could have consumed every crumb if decorum and my jeans would have allowed.  It made me want to go out and buy a proper Bundt pan.  If I eat this for breakfast, I may do just that.

In the meantime, here is the recipe.  Make this tonight, then give it to someone you love.  Because if you don't get it out of the house you may eat the whole thing in 24 hours.  This recipe is from The Food Librarian, and I can see why it's her favorite Bundt recipe.

Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt Cake
Recipe from The Food Librarian.  

1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1/4 cup + 1T (or 5T) cocoa powder

2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon

1/2 cup buttermilk
1 t baking soda

2 eggs
1 t vanilla


  1. Bring to a boil in a pot: water, oil, butter, cocoa powder.
  2. In a large bowl, with a whisk, combine flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon.
  3. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour and mix until combined.
  4. Add the buttermilk and baking soda and mix. 
  5. In a small bowl, mix the eggs and the vanilla.  Add to the batter and combine.  
  6. Pour batter into a greased 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes (start checking it at 25 minutes).  
  7. Cool in pan. 
  8. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar or a simple glaze of powdered sugar mixed with milk or water.    

No comments: