Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Indiana Jones

I finally saw the new Indiana Jones movie on Thursday night. I put Justin down to bed & was able to sneak out to the 10 pm showing while Matt stayed home with the bambinos (he had seen it on opening day). It was good. Definitely not Raiders good, but good, and worth seeing. I think Harrison Ford seemed a little rusty in the part, and it showed. I also think that Shia LaBeouf was decent as Mutt Williams, but a little stilted. I found myself analyzing the whole time - looking at the sets, thinking about the acting, comparing and contrasting with the previous films. It took away some of the enjoyment of the film, but I couldn't help myself. I was fixated on Shia. I had read a review of the film that called Shia a good actor, but "with absolutely no charisma"... and I have to agree. Harrison Ford - charisma. Will Smith - charisma. Edward Norton, Kevin Spacey, Tom Selleck, Tom Hanks, Nicholson, Pacino, DeNiro - Charisma (with a capital C). But I digress. I thought the plot was underdone, and the sets were terrible. You could tell that most of the locations were sets (I mean seriously, when they went to the catacombs/ underground burial chamber that was an AWFUL set), and I was so surprised that Spielberg would allow that, and that they wouldn't have maxed out the budget to make it look authentic. For those who haven't seen it yet, I don't want to reveal too much. Like I said, it was good, but I'm really not sure we'll be adding it to our DVD collection.

No comments: