Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

The Twilight Saga


I was a big reader growing up, and it's still a favorite hobby of mine. I don't read as much as I'd like to anymore, and most of my casual reading in the last few years has been limited to books purchased just prior to a business trip (I hate working on planes, as I just don't ever have the elbow room I need to type). I also don't usually buy books, unless they are really cheap or really good. I read extremely quickly, and can't stand paying $14 for a book I will blow through in a 5 hour flight. Anyway.... when my in-laws were here last month, Matt's mom left me her copy of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I like some fantasy novels, and it sounded similar to Anne Rice's work, so after a week or so, I picked it up. After a few chapters (mostly spent wondering why my mother-in-law was reading a book on the misadventures of a high school junior) I was hooked! It was a great, simple read, but done in a compelling way. I like that it focused on the emotional relationship, and not so much on the physical. I shocked myself by liking it enough that I bought the next two (in hardback!) on Amazon. They came today and I am so excited. It's almost a good thing that I have a very limited amount of personal time, as it will force me to pace my reading and enjoy these books. I was impressed to see the author featured in Time magazine 2 weeks in a row - first in a 3 page article on her books, comparing her to J.K. Rowling (and I love the description of her at home with her 3 boys, typing one handed while holding a baby in the other - I can relate). Then a second article featured her as one of Time's 100 Most Influential People http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1733748_1733752_1736282,00.html. I harbor a secret dream to be an author myself, and so it always comforts and inspires me when I stumble upon a writer who lives a life even slightly similar to mine (wife, mom, member). Book 4 in the series, Breaking Dawn, will be released August 2, just in time for my birthday - HINT HINT. I'm sure I'll have it in my possession shortly after it drops.

No comments: