Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's a Des Moines love-fest

That seems like a very un-us thing to say, but both Matt and I admitted to each other this week that we really like Des Moines. When we had to decide which school to finalize our acceptance to, I campaigned hard for Des Moines. I just had a really good feeling about coming here. I thought it would be good for the family (mid-Western values), and good for his academic career (DMU is a top-notch D.O. school). As soon as we arrived here, I knew we had made the right decision. I know part of that confirmation was the joy of no longer needing to commute 2 hours every day (we spent a ton on gas money), but there's a lot going for Des Moines. First, we love where we live. I could trade in apartment living in a heartbeat, but I did end up choosing a great city and a good location (pat on the back to me). I love that everything we really need is within a 5 mile drive - 2 malls, Target, Wal-Mart, Costco, church, pre-school. And even better, there's a great trail that runs behind the apartment (which takes us right to the corner grocery). Plus just up the hill & through a small development there's a great park and the library across the street.

The weather hasn't really bothered us either. Snow, ice, freezing temperatures? We're OK with that (granted, we didn't have a driveway or sidewalk to plow). And although today is quite humid, the past week has been beautiful. 80 degrees, relatively low humidity, lots of sunshine. I told Matt that this is the first year since grade school that I have been really excited for summer to start. We've been so busy, and there's so much yet to do. I'm looking forward to 4th of July, swim lessons, visiting the wading pools at the local parks, movies on the lawn at the West Des Moines city hall, possibly going to Minneapolis for a few days, and just getting outside to enjoy the sunshine and cool breeze.

I know that we'll be moving next summer to start rotations, and I'm already sad about that. I wish we could stay in Des Moines, but we're pretty sure it will be better for Matt's career if we explore programs outside Iowa. But the good thing is that we now know how great DM is, and we can always come back. I always envisioned heading back west when we were done with Residency, but now I'm not so sure. Oregon is grey & rainy much of the year, and is getting so expensive. Nevada is a little too desert-y for my taste. California? Well, if it weren't for the traffic, people, smog and outrageous housing prices, then maybe. Utah? Too much pressure to be the perfect Mormon (seriously, I think I would crack under the stress of it all). Arizona: too hot, dry, dusty, and I hate scorpions. Colorado is a contender, but I haven't been there in years. I realize there is much of the country I am omitting - and that it's very early to even be thinking about where to settle. But the point is, DM might be a contender on the list of possibilities. Wait and see folks, wait and see.
Family Picture of the Day: Accessorizing courtesy of Malaina. I don't think this is the last time this is going to happen.

2 comments:

Ted and Hilery said...

I am so glad you like it here! We love having you and hope that you will keep us as a possible final destination. Ted and I should still be here!

Robyn said...

GO DM! You definately belong here! Please come back, and don't talk about leaving for a while. I just can't handle all of this!