Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Not much to say, but blogging anyway

We're stuck at home on a Saturday afternoon, as our street is closed down for the Hy-Vee Triathlon. No car traffic until 5pm on both Saturday & Sunday. It's really not a bad thing because Justin is actually taking a decent nap in his crib. Yep, we finally reconfigured the bedroom and put up the big crib. I think he never slept well in the travel crib because the bassinet insert would always shake every time he moved, waking him up even more. Last night was the first night with the crib and he went to sleep there but I ended up bringing him into our bed to eat at around 12:30am. But at least he slept for a good 4 hours in the crib! I know that one day he'll go all night in his own bed, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to transition to his crib AND stop eating at night all in one fell swoop. For now I'm just taking small steps to smooth out the process. If anyone has any advice on getting him to sleep all night, I am all ears (except the cry it out method - I don't agree with it).

Justin also tried rice cereal over the last 2 days. I know it's early, but sometimes he just seems so hungry and I don't know if I'm producing enough milk to keep him satisfied. It went relatively well. He's still not sure he likes it, but at least he didn't spit it all back out. I've been feeding it to him for dinner, then nursing him one last time before bed. I think he's been sleeping a little more deeply, so it may be doing the trick! I forgot how messy those first meals can be. We had to break out the bib, and it was completely soaked by the time we were done.

To celebrate finishing my project I took the kids to the mall yesterday. I had to get a gift for the Favorite Things party, and Malaina wanted to go to the Play Place, so off we went. I found what I was looking for and more! I've been wanting to have the kids' picture taken, and I finally found Malaina a white dress to coordinate with the blue and white shirt I got for Justin. I also picked up a few onesies for the Fall, and some jelly sandals for Malaina (Do you remember jelly shoes? The ones I had were never this cute!)

After our time at the Mall, we headed to Old Navy so I could look for a rashguard for Justin. I found swim trunks for him last weekend, but Matt suggested we get a rashguard to help keep him warm in the pool. Being cheap, I wasn't happy with the price of what I found at Old Navy, but I did rustle up some good stuff in the 50% racks. Malaina scored 4 new t-shirts, a sweater, and new jeans, and Justin got 2 pairs of jeans. It seems weird to be buying long sleeves and heavy pants right now, but I know that when October rolls around I'll be happy I squirreled those away. Seriously - when long sleeved t's are $2.50, I can't say no. I think I take even more pleasure in finding bargains because I know that the kids' clothes will not always be so inexpensive.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love bargin shopping too! Sounds like you got some great deals. I love Malaina's new shoes. I would have to agree, my jelly shoes were not that cute. I can't wait to see what you picked out for the favorite things party. I'm still debating what I'm going to bring for that one.

Things I May Regret Writing said...

Hi Amy, I'm stalking you now. I can't believe you say you don't know what you want to be when you grow up, when right on your header it says you're in medical school. Good luck!

Also, I am a huge fan of the Office, Project Runway, and Paula Deen. I think it's ok it watch a lot of TV as long as you're watching good TV.

Cute blog! Lilly