Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Historic Moment

Barack Obama, president-elect of the United Stated of America (2008)

Within moments of my previous post, CNN and MSNBC declared Obama president-elect. I think there are few moments in one's life where you KNOW history is being made, and last night was one of them. Whether or not you are an Obama supporter, last night was a turning point in our history as a nation. Yes, he is an untested politician, this junior senator from Illinois, but he ran a BRILLIANT campaign (and don't you want to support the person who runs the better campaign?? Doesn't that say something about him??). I fervently hope that he will be able to make real, positive changes in Washington. I hope he lives up to the integrity he projects. I hope he moves America back onto the path of financial stability, peace, and security. I believe he will be a moderate president, fighting to better the lives of the American middle class, and challenging us all to be better, to be more, than we currently are. He is proof that America continues to be the land of opportunity and that through hard work, perseverance, and the support of our families, we can achieve our dreams. Congratulations, Mr. Obama.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I was in bed last night by 9...I was so tired, plus I couldn't handle the suspense of finding out who won or not.
While I personally didn't vote for Obama...he sure knows how to deliver a speech. I've gotten goosebumps on a few occasions. And he did run a brilliant campaign. He's overcome odds and it's amazing to see how far society has come in regards to civil rights and equality. I agree with all of your hopes for America. Something needs to be done. I just pray everything improves for the better, not changes for the worse. I was listening to a radio talk show the other day (I honestly don't know who it was) and they were playing a clip from some lady who had just come from an Obama Rally saying something like "This day has finally come! If Obama becomes president, I will never have to worry about paying another gas bill, another mortgage bill, or putting my kids through school. If I vote for him, he will take care of me"

I just sat there thinking, I hope he takes care of me too. Because how nice would it be for ALL of our bills (rich and poor) to be taken care of by someone else. It'll be interesting to see how it all happens.