Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

VB6

I have been lurking on Facebook for the last few days. I have little to add to the posturing, but find amusement in the silliness that appears before me. I am a 'Fan' of NPR, and I receive news feeds when they post new stories. Today there was a feed on one of my favorite cookbook authors: Mark Bittman.

He's a food writer for the New York Times, and has authored several cookbooks including my personal fave: How to Cook Everything.

The gist of the story is that he has begun advocating a Vegan before 6 approach to eating. My understanding is that this means you follow a Vegan diet (no animal products - meat, dairy, eggs - but lots of veggies & whole grains) until 6pm. After 6 (or whatever your dinner time is) you may eat as you wish. Within reason. Less junk food, more whole food.

I have to admit, I am intrigued. I've been dabbling in thoughts of healthier eating. Soy milk, whole grains, less processed foods - all good things, right? I could sub in soy milk on my cereal and salad with pita & hummus at lunch. But the thought of no cheese until 6pm? Not sure I could pull it off.

Here's another little blurb from Reader's Digest on his plan.

I am also curious about his latest book called Food Matters. He advocates learning more about how the food we eat is harming the environment, how we can make realistic changes, and WHY we should make changes. Plus there are 75 new recipes to explore.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I wish the really really good stuff was really really healthy for you: like cakes, cookies, donuts, etc. ;). Oh if only I felt the same about the healthy stuff - I recently purchased fiber & omega-3 bars and wanted to gag eating them.

Is this the same cookbook your Angel Food cake goodness? I still think of you bringing that to the Fave Things party and my mouth starts watering. You are a FAB cook, I can tell just from that!

P.S. Spaghetti sounds good for dinner tonight - thanks for the suggestion! ;)