Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Creative Problem Solving

Before I had kids, I didn't understand the tornado of mess they could make. I grew up an only child, and was responsible for cleaning up after myself. Being the conscientious type, I didn't think this was a tremendous burden. Few of my friends had younger siblings, and the little interaction I had with those families left me thinking that things were a little crazy, but not too bad.

Time fades memory, and the introduction of kids x 2 has brought a new awareness of spills, stains, scratches, and marks that are seemingly impervious to energetic scrubbing. My brilliant husband was the one who steered us towards the couch & chair upholstered in chocolate brown microsuede, and I will be forever grateful for this genius decision. Graham cracker crumbs may glare like a neon sign against the dark cloth, but it does a fantastic job of hiding much of the detritus of spill-prone young 'uns.

Unfortunately, my car did not come equipped with equally dark seats and I have been bothered by the mysteriously off color spots which seem to appear on a weekly basis. Our recent Spring weather gave me a kick start to refresh the Family Truckster, and after a thorough vacuuming, I racked my brain for a solution to shortcut those dratted marks besmirching my upholstery.

Focusing on supplies at hand, I remembered the crib sheet which had met an untimely demise this summer. Why I had kept this I could not recall, but it proved to be the answer to my dilemma. I tucked and arranged, and in moments I had a perfect fit for my kid-spotted bench seat. Washable, easy to install, and exactly the right price for my budget - I LOVE my new car seat cover.

1 comment:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Ooooo! I think I might be stealing this idea. BRILLIANT!