Pages

Monday, March 2, 2009

And For My Next Trick.....

Well, as yesterday's post was a monumental downer, I give you a little Monday simplicity.

Now that we are leaving Iowa, we must make the rounds of that which is fabulous about Iowa. So we drove out to Winterset.

Winterset is the birthplace of John Wayne.

For you quilting fans, Winterset is the home of Fons and Porter's quilt shop (closed on Sunday & Monday).

Winterset is also the heart of the famed Madison County - yes, THAT Madison County.

I wanted to check out the city park, which has a cool looking tower monument, and also encloses a covered bridge. What else to do on a beautiful weekend day?

Unfortunately, I forgot the cardinal rule of Midwest living - if it's winter, it's closed. And that included the city park.

So we circled the 4 square blocks of downtown, I made note of the quilt shop, and we headed out to find at least ONE bridge.

We came upon the Hogsback Bridge, built in 1884.




This is my new favorite picture. I may have to frame it.

4 comments:

Ted and Hilery said...

That is a great photo! I would frame that too. :)

Ashley said...

There were so many places I wanted to visit before we moved from Des Moines, Winterset being one of them, and we got around to almost none of them! haha. Way to fulfill my goals for me ;)...looks like y'all had fun despite the closed parks and cold ;)

sarita said...

That's my new favorite picture as well. I love love love it!

Kelly said...

I love that picture too.