Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Failing with Style

Well, if I am going to fail this No-Spending Experiment, 
I'm going to fail it in spectacular fashion.  

Tell me what you see below:


And if you answer (as my husband did) "A box of crap", then you are wrong. 

What you see above is a box of All-Clad cookware I bought at my local thrift store.

For $24.95. 


ALL-CLAD : $24.95

I very nearly had a heart attack when I realized what lay before me. 

And almost had another one as I hoofed it out the doors 
& back home to grab some money from my secret cash stash. 

I was sweaty and giddy when I handed over my precious dollars to the slightly puzzled clerk. 

Even typing this, I am a little light-headed.

Can you feel it?  

If you like to cook, and you're not familiar with All-Clad, you need to educate yourself. 
All-Clad is to Cooking as Ferrari is to Driving. 
Sure, a Yugo will still get you there, but the ride won't be nearly as quick, smooth, or enjoyable.   


I know - it's not pretty, but in this case it really is what's on the inside that counts. 

The box contained: 2 saucepans, 3 pots, 2 lids, and a steamer insert.  
All but the steamer appears to have an anodized exterior (similar to what is now the LTD2 line).  

These were clearly used, but not at all loved.  
I think that the previous owner didn't know how to take care of them.  If I had to guess, I'd say they were put in the dishwasher and the soap and heat discolored the outside.  


The insides all looked like this. 


But a little Barkeeper's Friend fixed them right up!


They are still not purty, but man, are they amazing to cook with!

Here is a breakdown of what I bought, with approximate retail pricing:

1.5 Qt. saucepan  $149.95
 3 Qt.  saucepan  $234.95
2.5 Qt. casserole  $110*
3 Qt. casserole  $130*
 4 Qt. casserole  $156*
8” Stainless steel steamer insert  $105
 Retail total:  $884.90!

*These prices are for comparable products in the Stainless line.  There are no LTD2 pots in this size right now, but if there were, they would likely be about 30% higher than these prices. 

Although I felt awful at breaking down during No Spend month, it was totally worth it.  It was serendipity, I swear it was.  If I have one actual hobby that I enjoy doing, it is cooking.  And cooking is soooooo much more enjoyable if you have tools that work well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, that is so awesome!! way to go! and what was all that business about failing??

:)

Ashley said...

I know nothing of all-clad cookware but your sheer excitement and the money you saved........it's like you beat the mother system of good deals and I love a good deal and beating the system!! ---and way to make the pots inside shimmer like new (I do love my barkeepers friend for our porcelain sink- who knew it works so well on pots). Yea for going out in style amd scoring a simply amazing deal!!!! And yea for you to be able to see quality things in not so perfect exteriors- I really think that's a talent in and of itself!
Ps your hubby's comment made me laugh---Haha!!

Mom said...

You really hit the motherlode of deals. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Congratulations!