Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Product Review: John Frieda Foam Haircolor

As explained before, I am both vain about my hair and not an early adopter of new products.  But one of those clearly swayed the other, and I recently convinced myself to try something NEW. 

I'm an at-home hair colorer, and have been very happy with my preferred product (Clairol Perfect 10).  But I'd been hearing a lot of buzz about Foam Haircolor.  I read several items online, then a compelling article in one of my favorite fashion magazines.  Everything touted foam as being the next big thing in at-home hair color.  Buzzwords of full coverage, no drips, and ease of application all joined forces to pull me towards the haircare aisle of my local carries-it-all store.  
Much of what I read about centered on the John Frieda brand.  

$11.25 later, I came home with this: 


I liked the packaging, and I liked what was inside.  The gloves (inside the ziploc bag) were very thick & longer than usual, and the instructions (yes, I read them in full) were clear.  


I added one to the other, and then gently TILTED the bottle 5x as suggested.  
Unlike my usual at-home colorant, no vigorous shaking is required.  

Despite the pump-like attachment, the foam is created by squeezing the bottle gently - 
about 4 times for each handful produced. 

I applied and applied and applied.  I definitely noticed that this product smells much better than any other at-home color I've ever used.  As this was my first time with this color, I used the all-over method of application.  I ended up looking much like the model in the picture: 
with a headful of whitish foam hair piled on top of my head.
I waited the requisite 30 minutes, then rinsed & conditioned.  

Results: I liked it the first few days, but once I washed my hair (I waited 3 days), I feel like my roots were immediately peeking out.  With each wash (again, I only wash my hair 2x a week), I feel as though my roots are getting brighter.  Roots aside, I like the color, the coverage seems even, and my hair feels healthy.  

Final thought: The application process was easy and thorough.  The smell was not unpleasant.  The price was at the high end of most at-home color products, but I think it would be worth it if your results are pleasing & even.  I'm glad I tried it, but due to the poor grey coverage, I would not buy it again.  Until my kids catch the leprechaun or my lottery numbers come up, I will have to stick with what I know works for me.   

Note: My hair is naturally dark brown, with about 10% grey.  

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about trying this but think I'm going to pass after reading this. If it isn't going to cover my grey nicely, I'm not interested.(I've got a lot more than 10%)