Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Am So Out of Fashion

In an interview for Time Magazine, Tim Gunn (style guru and co-host of Project Runway), was asked the following question:

"What's the worst fashion trend you've ever seen?"

Answer: "...Generally speaking, it's footwear trends. I mean, the Croc - it looks like a plastic hoof. How can you take that seriously? I know its comfortable; I understand that. But if you want to dress to feel as though you never got out of bed, don't get out of bed."
To a point, I agree with him. I am late to jump on the bandwagon of anything, much less be at the forefront of any fashion trend (too much work for this girl). I didn't personally investigate Crocs until last summer, and when I did, I fell hard for the Mary Jane. So comfortable on my pregnant feet! When I was here in July, looking for places to live, I noted that the Croc was a BIG trend here. I chuckled to myself about it, as I think the original Cayman style is SO UGLY. Well, then I had to eat my words when I bought my Crocs in Salt Lake City. I wore them all year, and I was happy.

I take no issue with Gunn's comment. He is a man of great personal style. As CCO of Liz Claiborne, I have yet to see any of that style translate into the clothing line, but I'm sure it will. And I really can't quibble with his opinion on Crocs. After I read that, I took a hard look at my old Mary Janes. He's right. But I still like them. So don't worry yet - next time you see me, I'm sure I'll be clomping along in my comfy plastic hooves, thinking about how awesome they will look with socks this Fall. And now I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Hilarious! I hated crocs for the longest time- mary janes grew on me a little. I still wouldn't say they are my favorite, but are they the easiest for little kids or what?