Pages

Monday, July 7, 2008

Shallow Moment.....

Forgive me for having a shallow, celeb-obsessed moment, but here I go:

I've heard Madonna is divorcing her husband. Not really noteworthy, as divorce happens every day. Here's the interesting part: rumours abound that there is NO PRENUP. Uh.... really? I used to think pre-nups were lame, but I've reversed my opinion in the last few years. Of course we are broke, so there was never any talk of a pre-nup before we got married. But as a celebrity, particularly one of Madonna's magnitude, I would think a Pre-Nup is just a no brainer. I'm sure she had the same idea we all have when we move towards the altar: "We're so in love. I can't ever imagine being apart from him. I don't need a pre-nup because we will always be together." That's all well and good, but people grow, people change, and often they grow apart. And personally if I was making millions of dollars a year, I would want to keep it. If they stay married, then no harm, no foul. But if they divorce, apparently he may be entitled to half of what she made during the course of their marriage (England is different than the U.S., where it's often half of all current assets). Considering that she grossed between $194 and $260 million for her 2006 tour (and this is just a small portion of the money made since her 2000 marriage), we are talking about a ton of cash. I realize it's only money, and she probably wouldn't even miss that 50%, but...... all I can really say is listen to what your lawyers tell you BEFORE you sign on the dotted line of that marriage license. You pay them big bucks for a reason.

No comments: