Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

Sqwick!

I saw a snippet on Cross-Nursing shown on Good Morning America this morning. I watched with a mixture of horror and curiosity. When I was able to scoop my jaw back off the floor, I thought about what I'd seen. Two close friends had children very near in age (they looked to be about 18-24 months old). When one of them goes to work, errands, etc. the other will nurse the firsts little one. Interestingly, the other's child (the one who nurses her friend's child) won't nurse with anyone else.

Now, I know what wet-nursing is. But this is the 21st century, and we DO live in America - a relatively civilized country with a plentiful supply of baby formula (not that a 2 year old should be drinking baby formula). And while I can appreciate that a mother wants to continue nursing, I was appalled for a number of practical reasons. First, what is this woman doing that she needs to be away for more than the 3-5 hours between meals for a 2 YEAR OLD? Second, that kid was WAY too big to be nursing. I know, I'm sure there are many who would disagree, but IMHO, when your child is old enough to walk up and pull your shirt up because they feel like taking a sip, it's time to wean. Finally, you may think you know someone, but you don't really know everything they are doing. You don't know what they've eaten or drunk. You don't know what might be coursing through their bodies. If you MUST use human milk, go to a milk bank (yes, there actually are such things), where the milk is screened and cleansed.

And cross-nursing GMA ladies? I guarantee your kids are going to be grossed out when you tell them that mommy's friend nursed them. P.S. - If I were you, I would have invested in some better make-up to hide the enormous crescent moon tattooed on my forehead. Double Ick.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my, there is something about that that makes me cringe. I have a very close family member(not naming names for his sake) that was nursed by an aunt when he was young. It just freaks me out every time I hear something like that. I can say you will never catch me doing something like that.

Robyn said...

Oh man- that is crazy! It really hit home when you made the point at how grossed out your kids would be when you tell them your friend nursed them.